This course aims at promoting the position and culture of translation in the society, through correct and principled education, and by the use of most practical and most efficient methods of translation techniques, and a careful compilation of educational materials. Moreover, language teaching and translation have reinforcing effects on each other, and in fact, translation is one of the efficient ways of language learning, therefore, the learners who intend to improve and polish their language skills may well use the translation course.
3 levels, 12 terms
– Primary level: 4 terms (introduction to syntactic and lexical complexity of both Farsi and English, translation of simple texts)
– Ordinary level: 4 terms (translation strategies, contrastive analysis of texts, translation of texts with average difficulty)
– Advanced level: 4 terms (focus on subtleties of texts and translation techniques, field-specific translation)
– 401 learners are allowed to participate in translation courses.
– All learners start from Tr.1.
– New learners to the institute may sit the course through placement test equal to 401.
– Each term is 15 sessions.
– The whole course is 192 sessions (+1 project term).
– Course fees are 2785000R.
– Learners will be granted certificates after accomplishment of the project.
– At the end of the course, the best learners will be offered to translate books, which will be deemed as their final project, and providing it meets the requirements, Safir will publish it under the learner’s name.
– Translation of short stories from world literature
English section: CNN series and Discovering Fiction series
Farsi section: a compilation of carefully selected texts of contemporary Farsi literature is used, chosen according to the specifications of each term, which is published by Safir publication, in booklet formats.
– Promote the position and importance of translation
– Teach the correct application of translation techniques
– Introduce practical translation techniques to learners
– Introduce translation as one of the common ways of language learning
– Promote bilingualism as a necessity of the modern world
– Create the capacity of (Farsi to/ from English) bi-directional translation
More on translation course:
The applied translation course exposes language varieties to the learners, so as, through a variety of texts, they would become familiar with the creative capacities of writers in terms of the application of syntactic, lexical, punctuation, and also editing rules.
The course is comprised of 12 terms. In the first 4 terms, the learners will study reading and comprehension of Farsi and English texts, which mainly consists of literature as well as journalese. At this stage, the learners become familiar, however indirectly, with the basics and principles of translation and editing, through free discussion and the analysis of syntactic, lexical and literary structures and devices. Besides, the learners will be encouraged to do more and more reading, through attractive discussions.
In the second four terms, the fundaments and principles of translation are directly introduced in a practical manner, through workshops.
In the third four terms, the learners will deal with a variety of literary texts (novel, short story, poetry, play scripts, movie scripts, ….) and also other genres, so as to become familiar with the styles and tones of different writers.
At the end of the 12th term, the learners are assigned a translation project, individually; this will in fact be the final criteria for selecting the top learners. The compilation of the translated works will eventually be published in the format of a book. The learners who achieve “A” in their projects will be entitled to independently translate a book, which will be published under their own name.
Special features of the course:
The most important advantage of Safir translation course is its practical aspects, leading to job opportunities for the learners. After the course, the learners will be able to publish their work in the book format, through Safir publication, and the top learners will be able to cooperate with Safir publication, to earn income as well as reputation as a professional translator.
Moreover, the applied translation course of Safir has been designed in such a way that the learners will be familiar, deeply, with the specific tone, language use, and style of several contemporary Iranian writers and poets, and as a result, they will be able to gain an in-depth understanding of the various refined works of Iranian literature. These readings will positively affect the type and style of translation they will do in the future.